Do you remember where you where you were when you saw the planes hit? Do you remember
what you were doing when the towers fell? The disbelief of the strike on the Pentagon? And the horror of the 4th plane crashing?
What a nightmare day that was, the day our world changed.
We were in Orange County, CA. It was still pre-dawn for me when it all started. Victor had already left for work. I was just hitting the snooze before getting up to get Dallin ready for school. Monica was 2; Sebastian only months old.
Victor called to say a plane had just hit one of the towers. As I turned the TV on, the 2nd plane hit. I wavered between keeping Dallin home or taking to school. I decided it would be better for him to have a 'normal' day. I was so stunned. Just as I was about to turn off the TV to leave, the first tower fell. We left. I was so shaken but had to keep it together for Dallin. At age 7, he knew something was very wrong, but I tried to downplay what had happened. (Later, as he learned more, he developed hives. It's the only time that has ever happened to him. I think it may have been his body's way of handling the stress that was so palpable everywhere. He jokes "I'm allergic to terrorism!" )As soon as I returned and got the other two happily playing with toys, I tuned back into the news and called Victor. At the time he worked for AT&T Wireless. Remember, we didn't know what the heck was going on or if more places (like Los Angeles) were going to be attacked next
. I insisted on coming to pick him up (he'd carpooled). I was so frightened. As I drove the half hour to his building, there were NO other cars. Not anywhere! Not one on the busiest freeway in the country! It was like one of those end-of-the-world movies. Very surreal.
. I insisted on coming to pick him up (he'd carpooled). I was so frightened. As I drove the half hour to his building, there were NO other cars. Not anywhere! Not one on the busiest freeway in the country! It was like one of those end-of-the-world movies. Very surreal. But then I also remember the feelings of kindness for strangers, the niceness, the feeling of unity for days, weeks afterward. The coming together of all of us, as Americans, to pray, to sing, to help.
God Bless America!
He does! And he will, as long as we are good.


1 comments:
Stephanie, I've been looking for you! Email me-can't wait to catch up.
Tammy
Post a Comment