Finally got my computer back. It's been packed and/or I have been without Internet service.
Are we in Boston yet? No. Not quite. We had planned to be there before Sept. 4th (when the public schools start) however " the best laid plans..." We are currently out of our home and staying with my in-laws for the next few weeks.
We decided we had better start the kids in school here in Florida, since it looks like it may be another 4 to 6 weeks before we can leave. That decision was very disappointing to the kids. After all, they have already said their goodbyes to friends. And it is hard to be the new kid coming into a class that has already started. But it can't be helped.
They missed the first week of school here (school started Aug. 18th) but so did everyone else. The first week of school ended up canceled due to Tropical Storm Fay and a lots of flooding as a result.
Dallin starts high school this year. He was automatically assigned to a high school. (You don't get much say here as to where you put your kids. ) And was put into the one school we didn't want based on it's bad scholastic rep as well as social problems(lots of gangs). It also has the worst band program. And it is the furthest one to drive to. We tried to switch schools, but no luck. So oh well. They don't have any AP(Advanced Placement) classes so he is in three 10th grade classes. He had to drop band, since they only have marching band as a class this semester. Marching band started in July, which he missed, and we'd have to dole out a bunch of $$ for uniforms and traveling. So he is going to continue w/ private lessons(from a GREAT teacher) and will take computers instead.
That first day of school I was so anxious for Dallin. We all know how rough high school can be, but he seems to be doing really well and is enjoying all of the classes he has. He is also getting up at 4:30 in the morning to leave for seminary by 5am. He leaves seminary at 6:15 to travel(quickly) to be on time for school at 6:55.
The gas is already starting to kill our budget.
Monica is in 4th grade this year. Fourth grade is a pretty intense year here in Florida. It is the first year the students participate in the FCAT writing exam(Florida's standardized test.) The teachers are under intense pressure from the admin to do well which reflects in the amount and level of homework(Monica had 2 hrs! today)
Sebastian is in 2nd grade this year. He was already at a 3rd grade level in many areas. Last year's teacher was quick to notice and give him appropriate work to challenge him. This teacher...hm...we'll see.
And finally, Isabella! She has waited sooooo long to go to school. She is really excited. Miraculously, we were able to get her into the same school as Monica & Sebastian. It really was a miracle. I basically prayed her way in. This school is one of the hardest to get into w/ a waiting list a mile long. Since I hadn't registered her earlier (think Boston) I really had little hope that she would be here. But here she is! And she is thrilled.
'Bella knows this school better than any other kindergartener. After accompanying me as I have worked in the PTO & volunteered in classrooms, she knows most of the lower elementary starff and administration & is loved by all. She has been the unofficial mascot. She has a very confident and independent spirit. But now she is finding she has to be there under slightly different rules. No more does she have free reign of the hallways. Now she actually has to stay in a classroom and do work before playing. LOL.
Her poor teacher, a great gal who already knows her, was taken aback when she suddenly couldn't find Bella. My independent daughter, knowing I was over in Sebastian's classroom, left her own without telling her teacher to come tell me she need lunch money.
So we, the three of us, had a little chat to explain the 'new' rules.
But all is well there. Bella was fine when I left that first day, although her eyes did widen as she watched me leave and realized this was for real.
I cried all the way home. My littlest. Growing up so fast.
But then I went to run errands and realized how much 'free' time I had. I ended up going window shopping at the mall for 2 hours w/o any guilt or pressure to hurry home.
Any way...long post.
I'll try and get some pics downloaded & up soon.
9 years ago


1 comments:
You're back! Must be hard living in limbo. I can't imagine having all the kiddies in school. Lots of schedules to juggle, but the window shopping... each phase has it's joys and challenges. Good luck with the transition.
Post a Comment